Monday, March 17, 2008

It's no fun if you can not make a mess.

It is busy and you don't have a second to spare. What is the worst thing that could happen? A gentleman spills an entire cup of coffee on the floor in the middle of the huge line that is developing.
Your first thought is OMG! How am I going to get to that spill right now? I can not believe that just happened. Your reaction at this point is critical.
It happened to me today and I will tell you what I did. I calmed the guest down with this phrase. "Sir, don't worry, it is no fun here if you can not make a mess". I quickly relaxed the guest and simutaniously eased the folks on line who were waiting to get served. I quickly put up a "wet floor" sign and got to the spill five minutes later.
We have all spilled things in public places. No one wants to be embarrassed over it.
You can be the one to defuse the situation and build your store's reputation in the process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is the best way to make a guest fell better in a very uncomfortable situation. Great job Les. Now you managers gotta be carefull, not everyone can take a joke and it really depends how you say it too!!!